Saturday, June 27, 2009

Vacancy

In my last post, I was worried about the ants not going outside to forage. Well, that fear was unfoudned because the ants soon thereafter packed up and abandonded the ant farm! Yep, left as in outta here, gone, sayonara. All that is left of the ant farm is a container full of sand with empty ant tunnels.

It took them about two weeks from the time I connected a tube to the outside for them to abandon the little home I created for them. I think the temperature during the afternoon in my living room was too hot for the ants, so they made for cooler conditions.

Heck, ants belong in open nature anyhow so in a way it's good that they returned back to their natural environment. I was planning to eventually release them, but not this soon. I did get a kick out of watching them during the month or so that I had them. I'm now thinking of making a cast of the tunnel network they left behind. Gotta figure out how to that first.

1 comment:

  1. Start a whole new colony. I really enjoyed watching your videos and looking at the results. Its nuptial Flight season, Which means you might be able to find a new born queen wandering around looking for a place to start a ant farm. Try to find one and start a whole new ant farm from scratch!

    ReplyDelete