Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Almost Done!

I took a picture this morning that clearly shows the near fully developed ants. Notice the darker colored pupae and how most of them are stacked at the bottom of the pile of developing ants. I counted nearly 30 some odd pupae in this chamber alone. Looks like I'll be needing to make a bigger ant farm soon!

Some yogurt drink, stale bread, apple, oat flakes, and some old dead bugs were on the menu this morning. By this evening, the only thing that was different about this picture was the addition of a dead ant in the yogurt drink. Either the ants are too full already or they just don't like the stuff I'm feeding them. They must be eating something judging from the large number of soon-to-be adult ants.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    I made myself an ant farm over the weekend, using Plexiglass - filled it with ants and soil I found beneath a patio stone. Anyway, I have a bunch of the "albino ants", that are visible in some of your pictures. These appear to be dead, but from what I understand, they're almost adult ants ready to come to life???
    My confusion stems from the fact that these "albino ants" are 2 to 3 times larger than any ant in the farm. Even the ant I believe to be the queen, is a bit smaller than these guys.

    Hoping you can shed some light on those dead-looking albino ants for me? I haven't been able to find any information.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete