Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cookies and Roaches

I think I finally have found out what the ants really like to eat. Cookies and roaches

I put in a small roach that I killed last night and by today, the head and most of the smaller legs were gone. The ants had stuffed the head down a tunnel close to where the body of the roach lay.

After I placed small bit of cookie inside, a bunch of ants started crawling all over it.

I noticed that ants crawling over the roach and cookie all had their heads faced up with mandibles wide open when I moved my head in for a closer look. They just stopped what they were doing and seemed to be warning me not to look at them. Interesting.

The ants are developing nicely. A bunch have now ended their pupae stage and are now walking about as adult ants. Haven't seen too many out topside foraging, though from what I've read, mostly the older and more likely to die ants go out to forage since the risk of disappearing or dying are greater for that of foragers. The youngest ants apparently start out with caregiving duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment