Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Next Generation

A new army is forming under the restless sands of the ant farm. Over half of the eggs that I collected from the orignal ant nest are in their pupal stage with visible appendages and are turning brown in color. This photo is bad, but you can see the light brown colored pupae mixed in with those that are still white in color.

I already see one or two new ants walking about and being groomed by their sisters. I say they are new because they are much lighter in color then their more mature compatriots.

Every time I take off the covering from around the ant farm, ants start moving the pupae into a recessed chamber where I can't view them. I hope that they'll leave most of the eggs/pupae right along the sides where I can see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment